Sunday, January 13, 2013

It's "ONLY" Hair...


After my initial cancer diagnosis, do you know what made me cry the most? The thought of losing my hair. L Not the fact that I might have a double mastectomy at some point, but the thought of losing something that I feel defines who I am as a person. Is that weird? It’s only hair. It will grow back. But it’s MY hair and it’s the one thing that has always given me that identity of who I am (in my opinion anyways).


After extensively confirming with my doctor/nurses that I would indeed be losing my hair, I decided that I WANTED TO BE IN CONTROL. If this was going to happen, it was going to happen on MY TERMS, not cancer’s.


So when does your hair fall out? Following your first chemo treatment, they say that you can start losing clumps of hair anywhere from 7 – 14 days afterwards (or something like that). Some people cling onto their hair for as long as possible as it starts to thin and others just decide to shave it right away.


Have you ever heard the song “Skin” by Rascal Flatts? It has always been one of my favorites and I have listened to it countless times since my diagnosis. It always makes me tear up, but it also brings me a smile. J The song talks about a high school girl who gets cancer:


“Sarabeth is scared to death
As she sits holding her mom
Cause it would be a mistake
For someone to take
A girl with no hair to the prom

For, just this morning right there on her pillow
Was the cruelest of any surprise
And she cried when she gathered it all in her hands
The proof that she couldn't deny…”



“The cruelest of any surprise.” Yup….that sounds about right. No matter how mentally prepared you try to be for this moment of hair loss, I think it can be emotionally intense and painful. When will it happen? Who knows??  What’s the best way to get through this? To make sure you are surrounded by those that love you when it happens.

 
Friday, January 11, 2013 was the day I shaved my head. Correction….my family helped me to shave my head. J
 

Wanting to save at least one of my reddish curls for a shadow/inspiration box of sorts, I took the first swipe with the scissors. Snip. Instant *TEARS*. And then like a contagious yawn, I saw the tears pass to the all the faces of my family in the room. Okay….be strong Renee….you don’t want the kids to be crying about this!! It’s ONLY hair!
 

My tears subsided after that initial swipe of my hair and then all went well with the rest of the shaving.


Donned with a garbage bag over my body as a cape, I sat down in our master bathtub to have my hair cut on MY terms. It took a little coaxing and encouragement, but I got Deion and Anika to actually cut some of my hair off with a scissors. Piper was visibly upset, so I told her she didn’t have to do it if she didn’t want to. She hung in the background until Aaron started in with the shaver and then she too, decided she wanted a turn.

 
After we were done, I took a quick shower and boy was my head COLD! Seriously, I didn’t realize how much insulation my hair provided. I kept wanting to throw it up in a towel turbin…it felt so weird to not have it there anymore.


Next, we sat down to chat with the kids and tried to answer any questions they might have about my hair. We told them that chemo is a super strong medicine used to kill cancer, but that meant that it would also make me lose all of my body hair, including eyebrows, eyelashes and nose hairs at some point. (In fact, I was talking to a lady undergoing chemo and she said the weirdest sensation was feeling a “draft” on her upper lip because she could feel herself breathing through her nose without any hair to filter the breeze. That’s something I never would have thought of.)

So there you have it. 2 rounds of chemo down..check. Hair shaved…check. Only 16 more weeks of chemo to go!

I know you all want to see pictures, but I need to download from my camera and sift through the ones that I would like to post.

I played in a volleyball tournament yesterday and have more pictures to share from that as well. LOVE MY DIVA VOLLEYBALL TEAM!  (They, along with several other teams went out of their way to make my day and honor me. And that is exactly how I felt….HONORED.)

More later…

(Oh, and if you haven’t heard the song “Skin” by Rascal Flatts….you should check it out on You Tube. It’s such a touching song…I hope you like it. J)

Love to all,

Nae

11 comments:

  1. Renee, you write beautifully. I look forward to reading these every time. (Even when they're tear-jerkers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear....they make me teary sometimes too! But it's good for me! Glad you enjoy them...

      Delete
  2. Thank you Shelley! I appreciate you clarifying who was typing. I have had close to 2500 hits on my blog, so I never know who people are that comment unless they tell me. :) I think I am ok for now...I have some hats, scarves and a new wig to wear, but thank you for the offer my friend. I will keep you posted if I need anything in the hat department. That's thoughtful of you to offer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again - I find myself in "awe" of your courage!!! You talk about "defining yourself" in your journal entry - YOU taking control to remove your hair on your terms & the way in which you chose to do it is the ONLY way I could imagine that YOU would do this. You have always been a leader in my book & continue to be during this most difficult trek. I am honored to be helping to hold you up as you move along to your winding path. Love to you (& your cold head!). . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Jacque...you are one of those people that always finds the words to touch my heart! I have always looked up to you for being able to do that. You are a beautiful person and I am lucky to have you on my side through this battle! Love you! nae

      Delete
  4. Renee,

    I love your blog and your writing. It is a wonderful way for people to experience this journey you are on. You are such an inspiration and you bring to life the little details that people don't always know about and understand. Thanks for bringing us along with you and many prayers are being sent your way.
    Love, Mary Braun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I am happy that you love my blog...it has been so therapeutic for me to use it to express my feelings during this trying time. It gives me energy to write and to hear feedback from people as well, so thank you for taking the time to write me a note. ;) Also....always love and appreciate prayers! Love, nae

      Delete
  5. Renee,
    You are nothing short of AMAZING! LOVE that you are taking control of what you can. There is such power in that! Keep up the great work - you are a hero to so many of us. What an amazing testament you are to your children of courage in the face of adversity! Can't wait to see pics of you with your new look. I know you are just as beautiful as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ang....you have been such a constant support through this whole ordeal so far. Thank you for your continuous flow of uplifting words and love! I appreciate them more then you know... Love,nae

      Delete
  6. Renee,
    You are an amazing mother and such a courageous woman! I'm so happy you are doing these things on your terms and the fact that you are taking the extra time to make sure your family is okay along the journey just shows what an amazingly compassionate and loving person you are. Everyone who knows you is a very blessed person. Malina Davies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sweet of you Malina! I am trying to take control where I can and this is one thing I thought would be easier if I just took matters into my own hands. ;) I don't want to alarm the kids about the severity of cancer, but I don't want them to be blind-sided by anything either. It's an interesting balance to try to keep in check. ;) Thanks for your kind words! Love, nae

      Delete