Thursday, February 7, 2013

It's been a great week!

I have felt good, the hives on my hand have gone away, and most of my taste buds seem normal...HOORAY! All week, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop....what symptom is going to be next?? I am happy to say that the worst of my worries this week have been a slightly runny nose and some dry skin. Me and the rest of the world, right? :) I can handle that!

I was excited to be able to play in a tournament last Sunday and also in league on both Monday AND Tuesday nights. *smile* Not only did our coed team win the tournament on Sunday, but I had a heart-warming experience while I was there. In between games, one of the guys from one of the opposing teams came over to chat with my team. We talked about volleyball, how he was from Owatanna and just stuff in general. Before he left though, he bent down and shook my hand...he said "I just wanted to say that I have a lot of respect for you being out on the court playing, I think that's great!" I stood up to talk with him more and he proceeded to tell me that his 4 year old son has a form of cancer called Neuroblastoma. I told him that Aaron's cousin's daughter has the same thing. We talked for a while about a flag football benefit that he started and how it has grown over the years and then he gave me a big hug before walking away.

WOW. Not only do I have respect for people that have the courage to go up to total strangers to express words of kindness, but my respect went through the roof for this young man when he told me that he was a "stepfather" to this little boy with cancer. I told him that too. I admire him for being a father figure to this little boy who is struggling with cancer because I am sure a lot of people would not even consider taking a challenge like that on. However, I could tell by the way he spoke of his son and showed me pictures, that he was MEANT to be in this little boy's life. That made my day!

That's one cool thing about having a shaved head. People know that you are a probably going through some kind of cancer treatment. It may ostracize me a bit from some people, but it also brings out the supportive people that have been through it, or know someone that has. It's THOSE people that I want to meet and share my journey with and hear theirs. I welcome their hugs and their words of encouragement because it empowers me and makes me feel so good inside. It's nice to not feel alone in this crazy world we live in. :)

In addition to volleyball, I was able to attend a class put on by the American Cancer Society on Tuesday. It's called "Look Good, Feel Better" and it is a free class where all of the participants get a free bag of makeup and a cosmetologist comes in to show us how to apply it (this included tips for drawing in eyebrows in case we lose our own). I enjoyed the class and felt a sense of confidence walking out with my new makeup. :) Thanks to the American Cancer Society for this wonderful program!

Last, but not least, I am going to post some pictures of the night we shaved my head and a picture of my fun new wig. Sorry for the delay in sharing!  (You can click on the pictures to see them enlarged.)


 
 
Enjoy the rest of your week!

Love to all,
Nae

16 comments:

  1. Beatiful. You look fab both shaved and with the new do. It is amazing how beatiful the wigs are noe. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was surprised (and thankful) at how realistic my wig looked. There were some that I tried on that totally looked like wigs and that made me worried that I might not be able to find one.

      Delete
  2. You are beautiful..... I love your shaved head, not many can pull it off so flawlessly. And your wig is fabulous. I love you Nae!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too Suzie! Thank you for your sweet words....I miss you!!

      Delete
  3. Grandma Connie thinks you look great either way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! I love that wig!!! You look great with it!! Makes me want to get one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodie! It really makes me feel good...it's interesting to try to manage such long hair though...I am constantly trying to brush it out of my face! LOL

      Delete
  5. Aaron shared your blog with Shawn and I over lunch a couple of weeks ago (Shawn played volleyball with you and Aaron in the past) and I have been following you! I'm so impressed with your optimism and positive outlook - you truly are an inspiration!! We will be in Duluth for the v-ball tournament and Shawn will be playing!!! You are in our thoughts/prayers every day!! You are an inspiration and wonderful person!!

    Jen Granner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet note Jen! I love that you are enjoying my blog and I appreciate the thoughts and the prayers so much. :) Would love to meet up with you guys next time you all do lunch and I hope to meet you in Duluth. Thanks again!

      Delete
  6. Again, thank you for allowing us all on this journey with you! Your entires are so beautifully transparent with your thoughts & emotions - they are palpable! I teared up when I saw the picture & message from your kids - there is nothing more direct & convicting than the point of view of a child. And, yes, you are loved by so many just the way you are - the way you were meant to be! Lastly, your photos - your smile on your face & in your eyes always sparkles, but the new locks are beautiful & you do look a decade younger than you already are. . . . SIMPLY AMAZING, just the way you are!!! Beautiful day!

    ~ jacq

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacque dear....your posts *ALWAYS* warm my heart and make me feel good inside. I value your postive and creative outlook on life and appreciate you always taking the time to write to me to express what you are thinking. I hope you know how wonderful YOU are! I am blessed to have you as a part of my life my dear!! {{HUGS}}

      Delete
  7. Hi Renee,

    Thanks for your guest book comment on my CaringBridge site. It's so interesting to see that our journeys can be so similar and yet so different. I also went to "it's Still Me". Jan is awesome. I bought my "hat with hair" and a soft cap from her. I love your wig. It looks beautiful and you look gorgeous in it. Unfortunately for me, my scalp is too sensitive to wear my wig so I have been wearing scarves in public. It gives me another reason to go shopping! Thanks for the information on the ACS makeup program. I plan to check them out when my eyebrows start falling out.

    Love your positive attitude and the photos!
    Sue Kang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome for the post, and thank YOU for posting on my blog. ;) I agree in that it has been interesting to compare our journeys with breast cancer...some things seem so similar and others so different. One of the more comforting things with having breast cancer is to know I am not alone. (not that I would wish this on anyone, but to know that others are going through this and HAVE gone through this, helps give me strength to get through it.) WE WILL BEAT THIS SUE!! I know we haven't met in person, but I would love to do that someday...we can meet and support one another, lift one another up and just vent about the sucky things that come along with having cancer. ;) Glad you went to see Jan....she is awesome!! I think I need to stop back there to get some more fun scarves. Some days I just don't feel like having to deal with my long-haired wig, so having a scarf option is nice. ;) Take care my dear and know that I am hear to cheer you on through this detour we are both taking!! Once we beat this....we will have to go out for a glass of wine to celebrate! :) Love, Nae

      Delete