Thursday, March 28, 2013

Goodbye HIVES!

After the initial 5 day dose of steroids wore off (around Wednesday of last week), I started to get itchy again. *pout* The hives never really went away, they just became tolerable during the treatment. So when my steroid pack ran out and I could tell they weren't gone...I called my oncology nurse AGAIN (I am sure she was just as thrilled as I was to have me on the phone *smile*). I told her I couldn't stand it anymore and the Benedryl wasn't doing anything to help.

OK she said....time to bring the BIG DOGS in. She talked to my oncologist and put me back on the heavy steroids I take when I am going to be having my big chemo days. 5 more days of steroids should do the trick. She warned me that I might not be able to sleep very well on all of the steroids...I just laughed and told her that I could handle being awake as long as I wasn't awake and ITCHY! LOL

After 10 days of steroids, I am finally only experiencing the residual effects of my nasty hives last week....bruised fingernails (yes, from scratching so much...who knew that could even happen??), small scabs on my skin where I scratched too much (I simply couldn't help it!), and excessively peely skin (if only it would have been from an exotic destination sunburn instead of hives! *smile*).

Amidst it all, was the big Arrowhead Benefit Volleyball Tournament & Raffle up in Duluth. It was a fabulous weekend and we raised lots of money for Susan G. Komen! Yay! (I don't have totals just yet because I have to hammer out my taxes this week first, but will post info and pictures about the benefit next week perhaps). My Divas did an AHHH-MAZING job donating their time and efforts toward making the benefit a HUGE success, AND we took 2nd in our division at the tournament! WOOT!! LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!

Tomorrow is my next big chemo day. *sigh* Normally it wouldn't bother me, but I am quite apprehensive this time around. After my painful reaction the last time, I am nervous to see what awaits me this time...simply because allergic reactions can get worse with each exposure. :(

Oh well....time to battle fire with FIRE! Instead of taking 2 pills of steroids the day before my big chemo and the couple days that follow, they are loading me up with 5 pills of steroids today, 5 pills the day of, a steroid IV during chemo and MORE steroids on the days that follow...THE BIG DOGS even....HOORAY! (anyone need help moving furniture this weekend? I might be your gal...hahahaha!!) Here's hoping and PRAYING that taking steroids up front will do the trick!!

Hope you all have a Blessed Easter!!


Love to all...
Nae

1 comment:

  1. Fight Like a Girl, Renee! Prayers for healing from those hives and that your next chemo goes as well as it can. Thinking of you, friend.

    Michelle Kieser

    ReplyDelete