Monday, January 6, 2014

2013

 
Wanted to share our 2013 Christmas card and letter this year for those of you that we didn't get a chance to send one to...
 

You can click on the above photo to see it larger. For those of you that can't make out the saying on the painting I am holding...it says the following:

Our family is a circle of love and strength. With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love. Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger.
~Author Unknown

WOW. How do I put into words what we experienced this year? Of course there was fear, uncertainty, anxiety, sadness, & pain, but that is to be expected when battling breast cancer....right?

My treatments truly spanned the full length of the year and each new procedure was scary in itself because I didn't know what to expect. I had some tears along the way...most of the time because I was scared about an upcoming procedure (chemo, radiation or multiple surgeries), other tears fell from pain, but my MOST favorite tears (if there is such a thing as favorite tears)...are the tears of joy my heart felt this whole year long!

I was honored, blessed and AMAZED at the outpouring of love and support that we received. And you know what was really cool about the whole thing? People stepped up to help me that I didn't even know, or barely knew. We were showered with cards, prayers, meals, rides for the kids, play dates, chemo companions, care packages, you name it...if we needed it people were there for us. I have never felt so LOVED.

And Aaron, the kids and my family were ALWAYS there for me...I was NEVER alone. Thank you to all of you that extended a hand to help, the gift of your time, or your thoughts & prayers. EVERY gesture was very special to me! Currently they think I am "CANCER FREE" & I don't think I will EVER get tired of hearing those words!

We have been very open with the kids about my diagnosis & what it means to have cancer. They helped me shave my head, they attended chemo with me when they were off of school, they walked in Race for the Cure with about 25 other friends/family (something I still need to post pictures of *smile*), they participated in Relay for Life & they were able to attend "Kids Kamp" which is put on by the Angel Foundation for families dealing with cancer. (Wonderful organization by the way!)

They have continuously made me feel loved with special cards and artwork displaying "hope" and the cancer ribbon, and Deion always points out people wearing pink & cancer commercials when they are on. "Mom, you should probably watch this." I know their little minds are thinking about it, but I hope that we have given them enough knowledge about it so that they feel power & not fear.

Other things going on this past year with our family...

This past spring, Piper & Anika made the 10U fastpitch softball team. Piper is learning the ropes as a pitcher & Anika as a catcher. (Piper pitched the whole state tourney this past fall...she threw over 300 pitches & their team took 2nd. Anika was catching, all except one inning, & hit her very first home run!) Aaron has been really involved with coaching & I tried to help keep books. And yes, I am THAT mom....you may not see me, but you will definitely HEAR me cheering from the dugout!

Deion had his first year of t-ball (although he prefers I call it baseball). He loved playing...especially when he got to hit, stand on the pitcher's mound or play catcher. He also enjoyed beating the moms in the kids vs. moms end of the season game!

Aaron started a job as the Senior Director of IT at a new company. He loves working there & they have been SO supportive of him working remotely when needed (Aaron never missed being with me for a big chemo day or surgery). Other perks, are his job is close to home & we have been blessed with good insurance! Oh My Gosh...I just realized I forgot to mention a very important detail in our original Christmas letter mailing. Aaron got his very first HOLE IN ONE at the golf course this past summer!! It was during a golf scramble with our dear friends Toni and John, on a par 3 hole (about 175 yards with a 7 iron). Yay Aaron!

Last, but not least...Aaron & I were lucky to squeeze in a trip to Ireland for a wedding in June...such a great time with friends and a time for us to reconnect and celebrate being "half" done with treatment.

Much Love From Our Family...To Yours! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Nae,
    I was told about your "Detour" by your friends Angie and Nikki. I had a very similar experience, although I had my procedures in a different order. I got the link today and spent the whole afternoon reading your story and remembering everything that goes with it. I thought we had the same reconstruction, but mine was a DIEP Flap. Very similar to yours. I would like to share my blog with you - but my husband is the one who wrote it. He works with Joe and Sam - so it is from a more technical prospective. :=) I couldn't have done it!
    I hope you have the time to read it. It is under "Susan's Cancer Blog" at www.imsdahl.com. There is also a video link to my head shaving. My sister-in-law Christie also got breast cancer 1 month after me - so he did a blog for her too. Your story is very special - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete